A high quality point of sale system can help you effectively and efficiently run your small business by enabling you to easily process orders, manage inventory, track customer buying habits, and even run reports on your business performance. It can serve as a critical component to your business and will allow you to do more, with less.
Equally as important as selecting the right POS system, is who you purchase it from. You can procure a system from your credit card company but you may find that route somewhat cumbersome and impersonal. While they may offer what seems like attractive financing, you will likely find a number of hidden fees once you dig a little further.
A far better option for your needs is to purchase or lease your POS from a company who specializes solely in installing and customizing point of sale hardware and software for small businesses and retail stores. These firms know precisely what you need, their solutions are far more affordable and you are not locked into lengthy contracts.
Purchasing a POS from a Credit Card Company
Here is a look at some of the advantages and disadvantages of purchasing your POS equipment from a credit card company:
- They tend to offer affordable and flexible leasing options for cash constrained businesses or those with poor credit.
- They do not charge for POS hardware or software support.
- You are typically locked into that processor for 3-5 years.
- They offer no onsite service.
- They offer remedial, poor set up, programming and go-live support.
- You are dealing with a behemoth company and will likely struggle to get a human on the phone when you have a question or issue.
- Once the contract is up you will still incur high software and merchant service fees.
- You will likely be assessed a 10% buyout charge at the end of the term.
- You are locked into their proprietary solution and have minimal options for customization in order to meet your specific business needs.
- The system is complex and takes time to learn and successfully operate.
Purchasing a POS from a Small Business POS Specialist
- You pay month to month and are not locked into any long term contracts.
- They offer timely onsite service.
- They completely set up and program the POS terminal and software for you.
- You always deal with a human voice when you need support, rather than an impersonal automated voice system.
- There is no buyout charge.
- They offer non-proprietary POS terminals and you have a number of point of sales software solutions to choose from.
- Your highly intuitive POS touchscreen is easy to learn and simple to operate.
- They do not have the same name recognition as the behemoth credit card companies.
- They charge a small fee for POS support.
It is important to keep these stark differences in mind when shopping for your POS system. If you would like help in picking the very best POS solution for your needs, please visit www.htg-solutions.com.